News from the German retail market week 32.
- German retail market: Turn over week 32 +8% vs. LY. July’s turn over -7 % vs. LY.
- Openings & Business
– Zalando starts selling products from the Spanish brand Mango on their site. Around beginning of September are you able to buy Mango collection from Zalando’s E-shop.
– Woolrich opening in Hamburg: this is their third store in Germany (Munich & Sylt). The address is Hohe Bleichen 17 and is 300 sq. It also offers the whole collection from HAKA (Men), DOB (Women) and Children’s wear.
- Trend & Top sellers: For women, the grey denim jeans are expecting to be a top seller for the AW14 season. For men, the thinner outwear jacket and blazer in different shapes and styles will hopefully bring in the cash.
- Retail economics
– The Tom Tailor Group increases their sales & earnings.
This casual brand from Hamburg is growing their business. The groups first half year showed a growth of 4,5% to €425 million. The Tom Tailor brands stand for a growth of 11% to €271% million, meanwhile the brand Bonita had a decrease of – 5,4% to around €154 million.
Turn over week 32 = + 8% vs. LY.
My thoughts on that: Good result for the German retail market. Some parts of Germany are still on Holiday and this usually means a lot of travelling to Spain for the German tourist.
Openings & Business
My thoughts on that: As I wrote last week, Mango seems to be experiencing a positive trend and change with its concept. Selling their collection on Zalando will probably be a move and a change in sales strategy to also offer wholesale, or maybe this change was already done but nevertheless, they will get a broader reach and customer target in the market.
Woolrich – the third store in Germany. I definitely think there is more potential to open up more stores in the market. I believe they have a solid and broad customer target, customers who are brand conscious and likes to spend money on their outerwear jackets.
Trends and Bestseller
Top Sellers for women: I can confirm the grey denim. My wife who is German just bought a pair.
My thoughts on that: Tom Tailor from Hamburg is one of the first brands that I got acquainted with here in Germany. A casual middle price brand that attracts the German men who are not that brand conscious and don’t want to spend so much money on their purchases. They are practical but also with details and this is perfect for the suburban middle age men, both to wear on their spare time with their kids but also when they have a beer with the lads. I also think they have a broad and solid customer group on the market.